The Neoplastic Room is an exhibition space designed in 1946 by Władysław Strzemiński for the collection of avant-garde art in the headquarters of the Museum of Contemporary Art in Łódź located at 36, Więckowskiego St. in a palace formerly belonging to Maurycy Poznański, a Łódź-based entrepreneur.
In 1946, the Museum of Art was moved to new, larger, premises. Its Director, Marian Minich, invited Władysław Strzemiński to cooperate on the arrangement of new exhibition rooms for a collection of European avant-garde works developed in the 1930s on the initiative of the “a.r group”. The Neoplastic Room was open to the public in 1948. In 1950, as a result of an official proclamation of the doctrine of social realism, its original polychromy was overpainted, and the works exhibited in the Room were moved to a storehouse. In 1960, the Room was reconstructed with the participation of Bolesław Utkin, a student of Strzemiński.
In 2006, a series of works from the original exhibition were displayed in the environs of the former Neoplastic Room before the whole collection was finally moved to a new branch of the Museum located at 2, Ogrodowa St. In 2008, after the works were transported to their new destination, the Neoplastic Room itself could be visited and admired in its original place in Maurycy Poznański’s palace. It is the core element of the “Neoplastic Room. An Open Composition” project implemented in the adjacent premises. The project-related exhibition highlighting the works by contemporary artists including Monika Sosnowska, Igor Krenz, Julita Wójcik, Elżbieta Jabłońska, Daniel Buren, Jarosław Fliciński, Naira Baghramian, Magdalena Fernandez Arriagi, Liam Gillicka and Grupa Twożywo refers to the constructivist vision of art.
organizator: Muzeum Sztuki w Łodzi
17.10-27.10 / Mon: closed, Tue: 10:00-18:00, Wed-Sun: 11:00-19:00 /
Muzeum Sztuki w Łodzi – ms1, ul. Więckowskiego 36